Franklin homeowners aren't the only ones complaining about the higher-than-average rodent populations, either. According to Orkin's most recent rat assessment, North Carolina held a surprising 4% of all the rattiest cities in the US. That’s more than most states on the list!
Does this mean there's no way of keeping rodents away? Far from it! Although rodents are near-ubiquitous near our homes, there are methods you can use to keep them away from your property. It starts with pest prevention, attractant factor removal, and sealing cracks and gaps. However, there are other tips and techniques you can start using today to make an impact on your property.
This article walks through each of these rodent control tips so you can make a more informed decision about methods that may work for you. Once we outline the signs of rodent activity and explore their many dangers, we highlight some ways a professional pest control company can help you make the most of their treatment.
Just want to learn how to rodent-proof your home? We also walk through tips at the bottom of the guide.
Now, let's take a closer look at pest control in Franklin and how it can help with rodents.
Signs Of Rodent Activity: How To Detect A Problem Early
Do you think there might be a rodent running around your house? This is not an assumption to take lightly. Many species of rodents are impossible to detect early, which means an inkling of something wrong should send you searching for additional tell-tale signs.
What are these warning signs, you ask? Great question. They largely depend on the species in question, particularly if you're suffering from an infestation of rats or mice.
Here’s what you need to know:
- Waste: Rats typically scatter large, blunt-ended droppings around the areas in which they infest. In contrast, mice leave trails of pointed droppings near nests, feeding areas, and water sources.
- Smells: Rodents tend to emit a strong musk or ammonia-like odor when they’re inside a home for extended periods. Although mice may create a light amount of scent, rats create extremely pungent odors that become difficult to ignore. Your nose knows!
- Scratching: Mice and rats are known for their constant scratching, biting, and gnawing. If you hear a mysterious scratching sound coming from the walls, attic, or ceiling, you may want to take a closer look at what’s behind it.
- Oil Marks: Mice and rats leave smears of oil as they travel along walls and baseboards. Although rats can spread some amount of sebum, it's the humble mouse who carries (and smears) the most.
- Nests: Rodents prefer to nest in dark, secluded areas of your house, including attics and basements. Mice create cluttered, fluffier-looking nests, while rats prefer organized, larger nests.
Keep in mind rat and mouse infestations rarely intermingle. You probably have an infestation of one or the other and not both. However, if you're finding it hard to tell the difference or not sure what you're facing, you can turn to the team at American Pest Control to inspect your property quickly. We offer 100% complimentary inspections so you can get answers about your situation without paying a dime.
Rodent Dangers: Health Risks And Property Damage
Let's say your hunch was correct from the get-go – there really are rodents living in your Franklin house. This means you need to take action quickly or risk the dire consequences of a long-term rodent infestation.
You're probably familiar with a few of these dangers: scratches, bites, and gnaw marks on your baseboards. However, you may not realize just how serious these pests are when left to their own devices.
For starters, rodents are extremely messy pests. It doesn't take long for them to make a mess of your home, too. These creatures can exploit entry points no bigger than a quarter, which means even the most secure rooms could be tampered with and destroyed.
Speaking of destruction, rats and mice have a proclivity to chew through any available food in your pantry. These hungry pests aren't particularly picky eaters, but they do have a preference for cereals and grains. Some rodents can chew through concrete to get a bite to eat, so you can't expect a Ziploc bag or plastic container to keep them out.
But rodents feasting on your food is only part of the problem. Unfortunately, these creatures can also spread serious pathogens into any food they touch. From saliva and droppings to urine and sebum, rats and mice can track all sorts of unpleasant substances across the food you own. This exposes you to a variety of illnesses.
How high are your risks for rodent disease transmission? Unfortunately, it's higher than you think. Rodents carry all sorts of viruses and bacteria, including Hantavirus, salmonella, and even leptospirosis. All it takes is a single exposure to pick up an illness that requires expensive treatments.
There's clearly a lot to fear from a Franklin rodent infestation. In fact, you likely never want to see another rodent again! Luckily, not only are there ways to prevent their spread, but there's a proven method of removing their presence from your home.
It starts with the professional home pest control services in Franklin from American Pest Control.
Professional Rodent Control: Why Expertise Matters
The longer you wait toget rid of rodents, the longer it takes to repair or prevent their damage. That's why locking in professional rodent control is one of the first steps you should take after discovering an infestation.
The expert team at American Pest Control is a proud provider of rodent control in Franklin. Offering years of experience in treatment and mitigation, we make it easier than ever to secure your home from rats and mice.
First, we offer a free inspection to understand the environment in which you live. We want to carefully address any problem areas and listen diligently to any special requests or fears.
Next, we move into the treatment phase of our service, where we apply proven products and remove existing infestations. We do our part to make rodent control simple and clean, so you don't need to worry about unnecessary exposure.
Since we strive to create custom plans for our customers, we can also design a follow-up structure that works best for you. We want to accommodate your needs and expectations so you can sit back, relax, and enjoy a rodent-free home.
Interested in learning more about our rodent control process? Why not give us a call to get service today? We would be happy to provide you with a specialized quote and perform an inspection of your Franklin home to help get rid of and keep rodents out of your home.
Rodent-Proof Your Home: Essential Steps To Keep Unwanted Guests Away
We've talked through the signs of rodent activity and how the team at American Pest Control can help you address them quickly. But what happens if you don't yet see any signs of rodent activity? Is there something you should be doing while you wait for pests to appear?
The short answer is that turning to rodent prevention tips is a surefire way to defend your home from rats and mice. Although there's no such thing as perfect rodent prevention, getting started early is a great way to safeguard your property.
Here are some tips for rodent-proofing your home in Franklin, NC:
- Seal Entry Points: Rodents can easily chew through spongy materials, including wood and plastic. However, they can't get through stronger materials like steel wool – which is what makes it such an effective rodent prevention tool. Consider filling any small holes or cracks around your home with tiny pieces of steel wool.
- Install Rodent Baffles: Rodents are excellent climbers. If you have trees close to your home, they can use these as bridges to gain access to your roof or attic. To stop this from happening, consider installing rodent baffles – smooth and slippery surfaces rodents can't climb – around the trunks of trees.
- Embrace Technology: Consider investing in ultrasonic repellents. These devices emit high-frequency sounds that are inaudible to humans but annoying to rodents. These may help you deter rodents from entering your space, although it's never a guarantee.
- Store Food Properly: Keep your food sealed in airtight containers made of glass or metal. Not only can this keep food fresher for longer, but it can also prevent leftovers from attracting hungry rodents.
If you think or know unwanted rodents are moving too close to your property, don't hesitate to get in touch with American Pest Control today. Not only do we offer unique rodent control services, but we also offer some of the highest reviews in Franklin. We are the local pest control team you need to protect yourself from rodents.
Call today to receive a free rodent inspection and to learn more about our residential and commercial pest control services in Franklin.